Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Verb=action

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 1 Jn. 3:18

Love is a verb. Let's face it, sometimes talk is cheap. But when you talk the talk AND walk the walk, it can be very exhausting. I don't do it nearly enough, therefore I am not too tired at the moment.

Love languages, how many times has this been the topic of your conversation? Everybody wants to be/feel loved, of course! Alot of times I'll observe others and critique them (many times unfortunately before the plank is out of my own eye) and there's one thing I've noticed. People are precious. We try to love other people with all of our heart and all the while not realizing that we are loving like we want to be loved and the other person feels nothing. Thus, we have love languages. Loving people the way they receive it the most even when we don't prefer to receive it that way is very difficult, and requires us to give a little without necessarily being fulfilled ourselves= SELFLESSNESS. One of my love languages is physical touch...one of them. This is evident to most that know me, I will give a hug at the drop of a hat. My tender heart is still getting over the fact that not everybody has the same love language and that it's not all about me(go figure). If we want to serve people truely, to be selfless, we gotta figure out what means the most to them and love them that way. That's all I'm saying...nothin' new under the sun...

The greatest example of this Love to no surprise is Christ himself who, "demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8)

Once again: "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us...." 1 Jn 3:16

"...because God is love. 9This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." 1 John 4:8-10

I encourage you to read all of 1 John...and perhaps 1 Cor. 13 the luvv chapter (ohh la lah). Right when you think you really love people, just read the verse that says love is patient. It works every time for me. Patience = humility and I lack both alot of times. Thank goodness the Lord is quick to show me. :) ouch.

1 comment:

Shaw said...

Hey Kristi, solid post! All to often we see love as a word and NOT an action which you brought up in a very interesting way. I TOTALLY agree with you, we should show love more often and not just "talk" love. Thanks buddy! -Shaw