Tuesday, January 22, 2008

contentment and true religion

Lately, the Lord has made known to me so many things I have to be thankful for. My heart gets overwhealmed so easily at the simplest things and I don't want Him to remove me from this place, ever. As it says in 1 Tim. 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain." So the Word on my mind lately is

Proverbs 30:7-9 "Two things I ask of you, O Lord; do not refuse me before I die: keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." This is my prayer.

Also, another scripture that I cannot seem to get off my mind is

James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." I highlighted the last part because in my growing love and compassion for fatherless children and the elderly, I have not really ever meditated on the last part of this verse, until recently. This is just as important as the first part of the verse, obviously. It's important, huge, to put on the armor of God and fight off the pollution that is perhaps deceiving us and keeping us from ministering to the orphans and widows(and everyone) for God's glory. It's good to be reminded that the battle against the principalities of this world requires DEFENSE and offense...and flat out RUNNING from all that contradicts the teaching of the Word of God.

That's it for now.

No comments: