Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Zachary Nathanael Wiggs and Faith

Well well, where to start? I'm sure most of you reading this know a little of what is going on right now. If not, here's what's up:

My nephew, Zachary Nathanael Wiggs, was born on October 26th to the most amazing parents ever(not just cause they are my kenfolk either), and passed away unexpectedly on October 30th. We have no reason, no disease, no mishap and nothing/no one to blame his death on, which can be hard to comprehend at times. I have resolved to accept it as God's plan and sovereign will for Zachary's life.

I obviously have had many thoughts go through my head the past 5 days as I digest and deal with not only my enormous hurt and grief, but my brother and sister in law's pain and the rest of our family's pain. I might as well share them with you...

I want to address my faith in this post, the next one will be all of the wonderful thoughts and memories of Zachary I have and had when Zachary was born, etc.

Many people say it is okay to "question God". I put this in quotation marks because the wording can be taken in 2 different ways and I hold an opinion that says only one is okay(for now at least). I believe to question God is not okay. From personal experience with hardships in the past, I unfortunately chose this path once before, and hated it. I believe to ask God why in a sense of "Lord why did you let this happen?" is to question God's character, authority, and in essence, allows a small amount of doubt to creep in. In my experience a couple of years ago, satan grabbed that little bit of doubt and drug me down, I questioned my faith and everything else I had ever been 100% sure about. It was awful, and only by God's grace did I get through. If you are a child of God, He will not let you go. He continued to bring me to his word, and it was my daily bread, even through doubting. Sry, got off on a tangent, but that explains why I don't know that asking God "why?" in that sense, is healthy. Give satan a foothold when he's already out to "steal, kill, and destroy" you, and you are in for a tough ride.

Tell me what you think about the previous paragraph....I wrestle with a lot of thoughts and continue to run to scripture with my questions, you might have insight or answers I've not yet been shown or given...or perhaps if you know me, you can suggest I reword this paragraph to make more sense to communicate what I believe. :)

The question I believe is okay to ask God is "What is your purpose in this Lord? Because surely you do not willingly bring affliction upon your children(lamentations 3). Your word says you are loving, full of compassion and slow to anger. You must have some purpose in taking Zachary's life that will bring you glory and fame?" That is what I am thinking. God created us to glorify and praise Him. He is all knowing and His ways and thoughts are higher than my ways and thoughts(Isaiah 55:8-9). When Job questioned God, God responded..."where were you when the foundations of the earth were formed." hmmm The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord.

That last paragraph was hard to write. I believe and trust in God and His Word. But that doesn't take away the pain and the fact that I am still hurting, really really bad. My heart hurts so bad I cannot explain it. I ask those questions and wait in expectation for God to reveal His plan and purpose in all this. May I have opportunities through my precious Zachary to share God's name with others and how Jesus Christ rescued me from eternal death.

Death came into this world because Adam and Eve chose to eat the fruit God forbid them to eat. This is the first occasion sin entered the world, and we(decedents of Adam) have been sinful ever since. BUT, Death has been conquered by Jesus Christ on the Cross and this gives me the hope that I will see Zachary again one day, because I have trusted that Christ paid for my sins on the Cross and has given me eternal life, even when this earthly life is over.

If you have questions about any of this, feel free to ask me, I ain't skeered. :)

whew, I feel so scattered right now...more to come on my experience(s) with Zachary, my precious, sweet, beautiful nephew...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristi..I think you expressed your view very well. And I would agree. Asking "why" can open a door of doubt. We may never understand; but have to put our trust in our God. I know the pain must be unbearable now; but God will see you thru. Continue to cry out to Him. Allow yourself to grieve, no matter how long it takes. All my love to you and your family. Paige

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kristi... may God bring you comfort and hope during this difficult time. I wish I had some words or thoughts to say that would alleviate the pain I know you and your family are suffering. Know, however, that I am thinking and praying for you.

- Kim Cochran

Misty said...

Praying for you and the family Kristi Beth. May you feel His nearness more than ever. Love you.

Courtney Titus said...

You are right on point girl! Love you!

Jennifer said...

Kristi...

I believe I agree with you...though, I am not sure that questioning God is necessarily a sin...I just believe God is not obligated to answer us. It is not meant for us to know and understand God fully...then we would be God, in a sense (to know everything he knows and understand how he understands, is to have his knowledge and character, which we cannot have).

Will you please go to my blog and read this post? I am not sure how to make it a link here. But here is the url...

http://thenonconformistmom.blogspot.com/2009/09/for-ayden-and-ashlyn.html

I wrote this after Jeremy and Lindsay Jones lost Ayden in August. It is quite long, but took a lot out of me to write and might provide some comfort to you and Brian and Audrey as well. At least that was my intention, when I wrote it for Lindsay. There are a few folow-up posts on the blog that were meant to answer some questions that people asked me, if you'd like to read those too.

It's just how I see God and his purpose in all of this...

Much Love,
Jennifer

Anita said...

Hey Kristi,

Yep...I think that you are on the right page with this stuff. I agree with Jennifer's evaluation of "questioning God." I also heard it said once (by Pastor James MacDonald at Harvest!) that when we ask God those kinds of questions we are assuming that we would understand it all if He answered us!! Quite precocious of us, isn't it?!? (HAHAHA...that's really funny if you really think about it...especially in light of the next passage...) *Side note: Pastor James talked about this in his sermon series on Habakkuk which we happened to catch 1 out of the 3 in person when we were home for a wedding in the fall of 2002...it ended up being the perfect thing to prepare my heart for going through a miscarriage myself just one month later. I love that Isaiah 55:11 is true too!! :)

I have often times clung to Isaiah 55:8-9 that you quoted...being thankful that His ways are not my ways in MANY situations and realizing that means that I have to trust His Sovereignty in the other times when I wish His ways were mine!

It hits me as funny (and maybe verifying its truth!) that your question to God is "What is your purpose in this Lord?" Funny because that was one of my first thoughts after hearing the news...although not in a question, but with anxious excitement in wonder and awe..."What are you preparing them for?!?" ...knowing that Brian and Audrey would come out on top off all this since they are standing on The Solid Rock of Christ. I anxiously await the purpose of all of this with small hopes of a tiny glimpse at His plans...knowing that I don't have the capacity to understand them! :)

Other scriptures that help me get through times like these
...James 1(most all of it, but especially 2-5 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.")

...Jeremiah 29:11 (For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.")

Love you!
:) Anita

Anonymous said...

Love it trusty :) very inspiring for me too... I especially was blessed from his little funeral-ish service. Boy I miss him.
-karen (teaban)

Anonymous said...

Kristi, I've been thinking of your family during this time. I know the pain of which you talk. You are such a strong woman and must be wonderful support to your brother and his wife. Your nephew is smiling down on you all.

I know he is very proud of how you speak of him and remember him in God's name.

((hugs))0

Teresa Carter